Archive for April, 2019

Edmonton city hall considers recharging idea of electric buses

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

The city’s push to bring electric buses back to Edmonton has some thinking of the past.

“It is back to the future,” Mayor Don Iveson said when asked by Global News about the idea.

“The electric bus is more expensive to purchase,” the mayor added.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Construction underway to transform old Canada Packers site into new Edmonton transit garage

  • Some bus stops relocated as construction begins at West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre

  • Coverage vs. Frequency: Edmonton wants your input on the future of transit

    The move comes seven years after the last electric trolley bus travelled down city streets. Prior to its decommissioning, electric buses transported people around the capital for 70 years.  The next generation of buses the city is looking at are different, without the need for overhead wires.

    READ MORE: Winnipeg’s new electric bus covers 100 km on just $12

    “Batteries are getting better almost everyday to the point now where you can run a bus for a couple of hundred kilometres, which works on 85 per cent of our routes, even when it’s cold out,” the mayor said.

    In 2008, when the city decided to move away from electric trolley buses, the move was seen as a cost-cutting measure that would save Edmonton about $100 million over two decades by not having to spend as much on maintaining the infrastructure.

    But Don Iveson, writing as a councillor on the eve of the last day of trolley service, questioned the motive of city staff at the time.

    “I generally give the benefit of the doubt to our civil servants, but this is one instance where I have to confess that they clearly started with a firm position against trolleys, and worked backwards to construct an argument around that conclusion,” Iveson wrote on May 1, 2009.

    Nearly a year earlier, in June 2008, as the debate to keep or get rid of the trolleys heated up, Iveson said this: “Well, it would be unfortunate if we decided in 10 years that we wanted them back against really high oil prices.  Then we would start from scratch.”

    In 2016 the city – in a sense – is starting from scratch. The head of Edmonton Transit is recommending the purchase of five electric buses; some councillors are pushing for as many as 40.

    As the push to rush back to electric gains steam, Eddie Robar, the branch manager of ETS, says the move away from trolleys was prudent.

    “I think it was a good decision,” Robar said.  “I think the industry is going in a different way.”

    It cost over $11 million to decommission the 127 kilometres of trolley lines. It will cost the city millions more to reintroduce electric buses under the battery technology. Also, transit garages will have to be retrofitted with charging stations the larger the fleet grows.

    “But then you would pay way less for electricity than you would for diesel,” Iveson said.

    As for what those new costs will be?

    “I wouldn’t be able to tell you until we know how many buses it is,” Robar said.

    When the previous council decided to get rid of the trolleys, the vote was 7 to 6.

    Had the infrastructure been kept, the current electric bus debate might look a lot different, including the questions around what the cost would be to taxpayers.

2 men charged in shooting of 10-year-old boy in east-end Toronto

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

Police have charged two men in connection with the shooting of a 10-year-old Toronto boy while he was sleeping in his home earlier this month.

The incident took place in a southeastern neighbourhood, at Blake Street and Boultbee Avenue, just before midnight on June 3.

Police said two suspects went to the rear of unit 111 at 70 Blake St., where they allegedly fired several shots into the unit.

READ MORE: 10-year-old boy injured when shots fired at east-end Toronto townhouse complex

The suspects then fled the complex in a two-door Hyundai Accent, police said.

Officers responded to a call of shots in the area and found the boy with a bullet wound to the shoulder.

The boy was taken to the Hospital for Sick Children in serious but non life-threatening condition, but police said Thursday he is expected to make a full recovery.

Jeremy Morgan, 18, and Jaden Sauve, 20, each face 11 firearm and drug-related charges in connection with the shooting.

A search warrant was also executed and 23-year-old John Fetterly-Brown, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon dangerous to public peace, possession of the proceeds of crime and possession of property obtained by crime exceeding $5,000.

Destany White-Campbell, 18, of Toronto, was also arrested and charged with possession of a Schedule II substance for the purpose of trafficking and unlawfully possessing a Schedule I substance.

WATCH: Police lay charges in shooting of 10-year-old boy in east-end Toronto

Police said the men were scheduled to appear in a Toronto court Thursday at 10 a.m. and added that the car has since been located.

Sgt. Andy Kitchener said earlier this month it appeared the address was targeted but there is no information to suggest the people inside were the intended targets.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at 长沙桑拿按摩论坛长沙夜生活222tips长沙桑拿, or by texting TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).

With files from

ChangSha Night Net

Fredericton’s ‘Shredder Man’ creating own work in spite of scarce options

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

Tony Boone, known as the “Shredder Man,” is one of 22,000 New Brunswickers living with an intellectual disability.

After struggling to find work, he started his own business, shredding  paper so he can earn a bit of his own income. He spends two days a week working out of the New Brunswick Association for Community Living office.

“I love working,” Boone said.

Until recently he had been selling his bags of shredded paper to a pet store to be used as lining and bedding in animals’ cages. However, the pet store recently went out of business, leaving him looking for clients he can shred documents for, for a donation.

“They’re going to bring me the paper and I will shred it for them, and before I shred it I’m going to charge them for what I’m doing with it,” Boone said.

ChangSha Night Net

NBACL director of labour market facilitator, Jon Lister says having Boone operate his shredding business in the NBACL office is representative of what he would like to see across the entire province.

“This is a guy who’s a perfect example of somebody whose motivated to work and couldn’t really find a fit, so he created his own opportunity with the support of some of the staff here,” Lister said.

Boone says he would like to build bring in more business so he can work more than two days per week, something Lister would also like to see.

“I’m happy that he has this opportunity —; I’d love to see it grow —; you know so that he’s bringing in more of an income so that he expands his business and he can work every day, like he wants to.”

Lister says there needs to be a shift in the mindset of employers.

“What we try to do is facilitate the proper match between an individual’s interests and abilities and an employers needs.  For example, somebody who is interested in cars and being a mechanic is not going to be successful working in a library, and vice versa. so it’s about facilitating that right match,” Lister said.

There are 500,000 people in Canada living with intellectual disabilities.

While there are many supports available, the NBACL says poverty, income support and unemployment are issues that affect persons with intellectual disabilities.

The NBACL says 70 per cent of people with intellectual disabilities in the province live in poverty or receive income support, and 75 per cent of adults living with an intellectual disability are unemployed.

Lister says those numbers are staggering, and hopes the organization can step in and help people find employment, or find entrepreneurial ways to make money.

The organization is involved in a joint research and innovation project with the department of education and labour around creating self-employment and entrepreneurship model for persons with  an intellectual disability or autism.

“‘Ready, Willing and Able” is a national inclusive hiring initiative that aims to increase the number of people with intellectual disabilities to be more active in the labour market.

Woman confronts Nebraska football coach 18 years after alleged gang rape

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

LINCOLN, Neb. —; A woman who said she was raped by two Oregon State football players and two other men in 1998 while Mike Riley was the head coach of the Beavers spoke Wednesday to Riley’s Nebraska team about her experience.

“As part of our ongoing educational efforts, I invited Brenda Tracy to Lincoln, to share her experiences with the young men in our program,” Riley said in a statement. “Brenda has suffered immeasurable pain and has shown the strength and willingness to share her story. Her story today was powerful and I know that it left an indelible imprint on our student-athletes, staff, and myself.”

ChangSha Night Net

The Associated Press generally doesn’t identify sexual assault victims, but Tracy has spoken publicly to draw attention to her situation.

Tracy has been vocal in her resentment about how authorities and Riley handled the fallout of the alleged assault in Corvallis, Oregon. The men Tracy accused were arrested but never charged, and Riley suspended the two players for one game – a penalty Tracy has said trivialized the seriousness of the matter.

READ MORE: ‘Your bravery is breathtaking’: Joe Biden writes open letter to Stanford rape victim

Riley, who once coached Oregon State and the CFL’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers from 1987-1990, had spoken with Tracy about having her speak to his players, but a meeting wasn’t scheduled before Riley left for the Nebraska job in December 2014.

“Sexual assault and harassment are serious issues on campuses across America,” Riley said. “We try to recruit young men of character with core values, and once they are here, we educate them on making good decisions and treating all people with the utmost of respect.”

READ MORE: Brazilian teen speaks out after gang rape video posted online

Riley said he spoke with Tracy at length and told her that he appreciated her willingness to come to Lincoln. He said he supports her efforts to create awareness about sexual assault.

“Out of respect to Brenda, I will not share details of our conversation but I hope to have the opportunity to continue our dialogue,” Riley said. “This has been an important day for me and for our football program and we must keep the focus on the victims, and on preventing inexcusable acts in the future.”

Tracy first told her story to The Oregonian, the Portland newspaper, in 2014. She has since given interviews to other media outlets.

She said she was raped while visiting the apartment of her friend’s boyfriend. She said she accepted a drink that she believes now was drugged and lost consciousness. She said the four men assaulted her over seven hours.

Tracy’s appearance at Nebraska comes in the wake of an investigation that found officials at Baylor mishandled sex assault allegations for years, including some made against football players.

$2 million heritage mansion in Victoria shows striking contrast in real estate prices

Wednesday, April 24th, 2019

A historic tudor-style mansion for sale in Victoria shows the stark contrast of real estate values between the capital and Vancouver.

The British arts and crafts tudor revival home, built in 1910 by Samuel Maclure in Rockland made news this week as it went up for sale through a rare live auction and listed at $1.998 million.

At 7,200 square-feet with six bedrooms and six bathrooms, the house, named Grierson Mansion, is immaculately finished and landscaped and sits on an 890 square-metre lot near Craigdarroch Castle and historic Government House.

ChangSha Night Net

It features a wrap-around deck, heated floors, theatre/media room, billiards room, and a 2,000-bottle wine cellar, among other amenities. Since it is also part of a strata, things like grounds-keeping are taken care of.

The house also consists of two strata-titles, meaning the new owner could subdivide it into two residences, pending approvals.

But while over 2,000 people visited Grierson Mansion during its daily open houses from June 10 to 22, only one person ended up bidding on the property.

“You can’t really have an auction with one person,” said realtor Andy Stephenson.

“We’re now working in a more traditional method of selling the property. The house has not yet been sold but we have brought the price up to $2.2 million, so it’s no longer at its optimal auction price. It’s open for general inquiries.”

It is now listed by Sotheby’s International Realty Canada at $2.2 million, far lower than a comparable house would fetch in Vancouver.

For instance, another 7,200-square-foot heritage mansion for sale in Vancouver’s Shaughnessy neighbourhood is listed for $21 million. It has six bedrooms and was built in 1912, however it sits on a lot over three times the size of the Grierson Mansion.

“Do you know who I am getting most of my calls from today [about this house]? People in Vancouver,” Stephenson said of the Victoria mansion, adding that the house is an amazing value compared to Lower Mainland prices.

“I do think there was some opportunity missed last night for bidders, for people that were sitting on the fence with this house. Time will tell.”

The benchmark price for a single family home in Victoria was $706,500 in May, up 19 per cent from the year before.